Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Pedagogic Inquiry: Exams

Has anyone ever tried the following, in a course with substantial jurisprudential (or ethical) content?

First day of class: introduce the course. Tell the students the substance of what the question (or one of the questions) on the final exam will be. Hand out the question, and have the students answer it (in-class or as a take-home). Collect their responses, and tell them to keep a copy. Do not grade.

Remainder of semester: teach the course. Anticipate higher than average interest in topics perceived to relate to the pre-announced exam question. If the question is well-conceived, that may be a large category.

Exam period: assign students to write an elaboration and/or critique of their response to that first assignment, based on what they have learned in the course.* Grade.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Alan Jay Weisbard said...

Yes, there is a problem of a recursive loop here, and I didn't think it was worth all the extra words and complications to get it just right. I don't think it is a "bait and switch", though, as one commentator has suggested.

If anyone can make the point in a cleaner and still economical way, I'd be happy to make a change. But for now, I view this as a major triumph over a crippling perfectionism, not as a mistake.

Alan Jay Weisbard said...

Note to MadisonMan: I attempted to reply to your proposed post offline, but it bounced. If you would like to resend with a working reply address, I will try again.

Reminder to all: this is a moderated list. Please see my explanation under "On Comments" on my front page.

As a general matter, comments with non-working reply addresses risk being discarded without explanation.

Anonymous said...

Alan,

I had a wonderful time reading your blog, it was exactly like sitting around the table with you in person. I was particularly intrigued by your commentary on sports. As a fellow transplanted Wisconsin-ite (I just can't claim to be a Badger, and anyway aren't Badger's non-kosher?), I'd like to engage in your discussion of sports, your insistance that you are finished with the topic notwithstanding, so here's what I have to say:





And not only that, here's my opinion on sports and the Jewish question. Is it good for the Jews?




I'm really enjoying this conversation about sports - it's a lot more fun than I thought it would be! Can you see that I've been studying the sports page? That's why I'm able to discuss sports so intelligently (see, I want to be approved for posting as an intelligent, articulate person. Thank you for not bestowing points for athletic ability).

Of course, working out for the sake of my arteries doesn't count as sports, because it is in no way competitive. But in any event, perhaps my take on working out at the gym will help to illuminate my thoughts on these subjects:




Alan, thanks for a spirited and convivial discussion about sports. I'm starting to feel more like a true Wisconsin-ite and perhaps one day will graduate to true Badgerness. Until then, Chag Pesach Same'ach v'Kasher.

Louise "Motor City" Goldstein