Thursday, March 22, 2007

On blogs, pre-existing narratives, and "packaged" events

Can this blog work? From a college classmate, David B. Black, whom I know (I think) only via our email listserv:

> I'll add my voice of support to the others I'm sure you're getting.

> The pattern is large numbers of people who are obsessed with a
> particular meme, and they come to every event that looks like it fits,
> and apply their pre-existing narratives. The result is no learning,
> reinforcement, and fueling of passion and division. This pattern
> applies to pretty much every element of political spectrum. Smart
> groups are getting "wise" to this, and starting to stage or package
> events to serve as focal points for this kind of passion -- the
> Mohammed cartoons are an example, transparent because they elicted no
> passion on original publication, only when packaged and sold.
>
> People who look at events dispassionately, and bring up all relevant
> points of view, including ones that lean against their preference are
> rare.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Who are the people with tunnel vision, who are referred to in the comment? I think the commenter refers to the people who claimed to be offended by the cartoons. The outrage certainly seemed to be orchestrated. However, reading the comment, I was not 100% sure, and wondered whether the commenter also might be referring to those - including myself - who are almost reflexively and uncritically critical of the protesters and of those in Western societies - politicians, law enforcement officials, publishers, university administrations - that do not stand up for freedom of expression and against the mob.

Alan Jay Weisbard said...

Daniel reads this posting somewhat differently than I do.

My impression is that David is addressing a phenomenon fairly typical in the blogosphere, and one that largely kept me away: the temptation to fit all passing events, regardless of their complex individual facts and characteristics, into highly oversimplified ideological patterns, in order to rally the troops and further a movement. Most often, responses fall into opposite categories or ideological agendas, making for a lively but un-nuanced food fight. The phenomenon neither originated with, nor is confined to, blogs:Jon Stewart was onto something in his criticism of Crossfire. But it may be especially characteristic of them.

I think David's point picks up on John Farago's warning to me about whether my particular style would fit this medium: a pointed question I consider still very much open, although I am committed to giving it a try.

Maybe David will re-enter to continue this...I hope so.