Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Announcing a (Further) Change in Comments Policy

My "experiment" with a "looser" posting policy has brought me to the following conclusion: the benefits of allowing anonymous (albeit moderated) posting (a slight increase in submitted postings) have not outweighed the negatives. (Postings on Jewish/ Middle East topics seem to attract particularly uncivil comments from anonymous sources, and in my experience to date, anonymous comments rarely advance the substantive discussions I would like to encourage.) More generally, perhaps somewhat contrary to web convention, I think comments are more worthy of taking seriously when someone takes responsibility for making them. Accordingly, I am turning off the anonymous comment option, and those wishing to comment will have to register. Let me know if anyone has trouble doing so.

No comments: