Friday, April 27, 2007

First Jewish group set up within a German political party

From EJP :

BERLIN (EJP)---A new Jewish group has been set up within Germany’s centre-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), the first such organisation within a major German party since the Nazi takeover in 1933.

The “Caucus of Jewish Social Democrats” was founded by Peter Feldmann, a Frankfurt city councilor and by Berlin law professor Sergey Lagodinsky, and others, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung daily newspaper said.

The newspaper quoted Feldmann saying after a meeting in Berlin with Social Democratic leaders, 'the SPD welcomed us with open arms.'

Since my visit to Central and Eastern Europe last year, I have had a considerable interest in the nature and quality of what remains of Jewish (particularly religiously or culturally identifying but non-Orthodox) life in Berlin and Prague in particular, and Germany, Austria, the Czech Republic and Hungary, and the former Soviet Union more generally. I'll try to include such reports as I find in future blog posts. Maybe I'll eventually get around to writing up some of my impressions from that trip and posting some photos as well.

No comments: