Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Erlanger was a real treasure

The Capital Times:
By Doug Moe

I REMEMBER the first time I spoke with Jeff Erlanger, he had been doing a number of national media interviews and was a bit miffed because so many of them played up the fact that he was a quadriplegic.

Erlanger, who died here Sunday at age 36, told me: 'I never considered it part of the story.'

It was, in any case, quite a story that Jeff was involved with in February 2000. ABC's 'Good Morning America' wanted it. So did a radio station in Iceland. So did I.

This was before Jeff and I became friendly and he asked me to speak to a class he was teaching, before I knew about his close relationship with TV's Fred Rogers or the many civic causes Jeff devoted himself to in Madison. I just knew a good story when I heard one and Erlanger had a stunner. ...


(Time stamp artificial)

No comments: