DURHAM, N.C. (AP) --Duke University has reached an undisclosed financial settlement with three former lacrosse players falsely accused of rape, the school said Monday.
Duke suspended Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and Dave Evans after they were charged last year with raping a stripper at an off-campus party. The university also canceled the team's season and forced their coach to resign.
''We welcomed their exoneration and deeply regret the difficult year they and their families have had to endure,'' the school said in a statement. ''These young men and their families have been the subject of intense scrutiny that has taken a heavy toll.''...
The players' families racked up millions of dollars of legal bills in their defense, and appear likely to file a lawsuit against Nifong.
The players said in a joint statement that they hoped the agreement would ''begin to bring the Duke family back together again.''
''The events of the last year tore the Duke community apart, and forcibly separated us from the university we love,'' they said. ''We were the victims of a rogue prosecutor concerned only with winning an election, and others determined to railroad three Duke lacrosse players and to diminish the reputation of Duke University.''
One wonders whether the terms will emerge...
Meanwhile, Nifong has been disbarred, and deserves worse.