Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Adieu Antioch

The Huffington Post
Here is a lively discussion board on Antioch.
I'm not quite sure why this story touches me so much--never been there, no close friends (that I know of) who went there, negative impressions on some particular matters over the years. I guess I like idiosyncratic variation in institutions, particularly educational institutions, particularly in a time of increasingly bureaucratized homogeneity of thought and practice. I have the same view of St. John's, probably at the opposite extreme of educational philosophy from Antioch. The loss of such institutions makes for a less rich and varied culture and social life. Would that I had similar feelings about intercollegiate lacrosse and frat house beer parties, which apparently will survive.

No comments: